birding-aus

Fire Regimes - A Look Backward in Time

To: <>
Subject: Fire Regimes - A Look Backward in Time
From: Graeme Stevens <>
Date: Sun, 1 Mar 2009 10:32:37 +1100
Forgive me if I take just a little sortie away from birds back into that
related fire and conservation theme so important to bird habitat.

Now that things have calmed down a little I wanted to share something from the
Bombala district of Southern NSW and a little historical anecdote from

probably "the last of his tribe". List members might find it interesting -
especially those from Canberra south to Gippsland in Vic.

This story was I think published at one point in the Bombala Times and came to
me from a very close grazier friend in the district, now in his 80s who loves
the land and it's natural wonders while also making a living from wool. He
looks after his property and bushland with some passion but has also been
burned out once with a wildfire somewhat similar to recent events.

Just some food for thought on what the "natural state" of our forests and parks
might once have been?

Graeme Stevens