birding-aus

Nesting Magpie-larks

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Nesting Magpie-larks
From: "Neville Schrader" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 15:53:09 +1100

 Over the last twenty four months I've observed a pair of Magpie-larks that
have taken up residence in my backyard.  The first nest they constructed was
a failure  (2007), but twelve months later they rebuilt it adding another
layer on the top of the old nest.  Since then they have laid 6 clutches all
par one failures.

 The first naked young were taken by a Blue-faced honeyeater. They also
raided the White-plumed honeyeater's nest and took the young. It's a cruel
world.

 The second lot of young were taken by Australian Ravens.

The third I think by Pied Currawong as they were near the nest and looked
guilty.

The fourth attempt was again taken by Australian Ravens despite my
objection.

The fifth clutch was again taken by blue-faced honeyeater's.

The pair then decided to build a new nest in an adjoining tree, this time
they raised two young which successfully fledged and may live to an old age
if they stop chasing grasshopper on the Newell Highway.

Neville Schrader OAM

2 Elizabeth St.

Parkes NSW 2870

33'05  148'15