birding-aus

Bell Miners Displaced by the Fires and Injured Wildlife.

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Bell Miners Displaced by the Fires and Injured Wildlife.
From: Bob Dawson <>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 13:22:17 +1100
Hi all

I have been involved for many years with Healesville Sanctuary and up until 5
years ago lived in Chum Creek at the other end of Healesville from Badger Creek
where the sanctuary is situated.

At both locations Bell Miners were common, but about 6-8 years ago they
disappeaerd from both areas, I always wondered why and nobody there really
seemed to know for sure. The common thought was that the dwindling canopy from
the loss of many Manna gums and candlebarks was the reason. However they have
now come back in quite large numbers and I assume they are birds from nearby
areas that have been displaced by the fires.

On another note, the Healesville Sanctuary has been inundated with injured
wildlife including many birds and is also supporting "frontline" triage centres
both with staff and phone advise. If anyone would like to help there effort
they can make a donation to the Healesville Sanctuary Australian Wildlife
Health Centre Bushfire Appeal via the Zoos Victoria Foundation.
www.zoo.org.au/donate

Regards

Bob

Get rid of those unwanted christmas presents! Get what you want at ebay.
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Frover%2Eebay%2Ecom%2Frover%2F1%2F705%2D10129%2D5668%2D323%2F4%3Fid%3D10&_t=763807330&_r=hotmailTAGLINES&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org