birding-aus

1 GREY TERNLET, 17 STREAKED AND 1 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, 1 WANDERING ALBA

To: "'Birding-aus'" <>
Subject: 1 GREY TERNLET, 17 STREAKED AND 1 BULLER'S SHEARWATERS, 1 WANDERING ALBATROSS - MISTRAL POINT, MAROUBRA - 22.2.09
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:09:00 +1100
Hi Folks - Another amazing day at Maroubra. This morning under gray and
clearing skies with Ray Gobbe and Edwin Vella saw 17 Streaked and 1 Buller's
Shearwater. This pm I met John (sorry can't remember your last name John)
and showed him a Wandering Albatross. In turn he described seeing an unusual
tern on the north side of Mistral Point. It was a Grey Ternlet feeding on
tiny baitfish in white water immediately adjacent to the rocks at the bottom
of the cliff. We saw it down to about 10m in both full sun and shade at
around 5.45pm. Very handsome little bird indeed. Back to Uni tomorrow so
what a nice way to end the holidays.

Cheers,

Graham Buchan