birding-aus

Galah-Corella cross breeding

To: "Mike Simpson" <>
Subject: Galah-Corella cross breeding
From: John Tongue <>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:36:04 +1100
Hi Mike, and all,
They certainly do. We used to live in Boggabilla, in northern NSW. The neighbours had a Galah in a cage, t which other wild birds used to come and visit (they also put out extra seed for them). For about 40 years, a "pair" of a Galah and Little Corella had been coming, bringing their offspring each season. These young were like pale, washed-out Galahs, with a yellow wash. The young never lasted through to a second season, and then one day, we saw a Corella dead by the roadside, and this "pair" never showed up again, so we guess it was that bird.

John Tongue
Ulverstone, Tas.