birding-aus

Strange Pacific Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney

Subject: Strange Pacific Golden Plover at Boat Harbour, Sydney
From: Tun Pin Ong <>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:27:35 -0800 (PST)
Hi,

Last month I had reported a Golden Plover at Boat Harbour that has some
features indicative but not diagnostic of American Golden Plover.

Yesterday I visited the site again and found that the bird has moulted most of
its tertials and primaries which in this case is more diagnostic towards
Pacific Golden Plover. I think the bird will still develop it feathers and
hopefully its ID will become even more apparent, in this case I think towards
PGP.

I have updated my observations in international Bird Forum which requires a
login
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=131638

Also to summarise it and to facilitate viewing the birds in different stages of
moulting taken from different trips, I have compiled the photos according to
dates

My first sighting. It still retained the very worn primary
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunpin/tags/2009jan12/

Shed the worn primary
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunpin/tags/2009jan16/

One photo shows its larger eye, larger head than a typical PGP next to it.
Heard its two syllable call which favours AGP.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunpin/tags/2009jan23/

Developed Tertials and Primaries which lean towards PGP
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tunpin/tags/2009feb12/

Feel free to comment to further support its ID whether PGP or AGP. Also would
appreciate whoever visiting Boat Harbour soon for Great Knot or other
interesting shorebird could help me to keep an eye on this greyer, short-legged
Golden Plover. This is because I will most unlikely be able to visit the site
in near future and I would like to see the bird has moulted more convincely
into a PGP.

Hope this as well as inputs from others will be a learning to those who are
looking for suspected American Golden Plover in Australia in future.

Regards,
Tun-Pin Ong
St Leonards, NSW