birding-aus

Media release - An important message to all Victorians planning a park v

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Media release - An important message to all Victorians planning a park visit
From: "Paul Dodd" <>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 18:31:29 +1100
Hi Victorian birders,

This was released by Parks Victoria today, so I thought I'd pass it onto the
list. It contains important advice for people considering going birding in
Victoria this weekend - don't!

Paul Dodd

Docklands, Victoria

Parks Victoria

Media Release

An important message to all Victorians planning a park visit

Immediate Release

Mark Stone, Chief Executive of Parks Victoria, today advised that Saturday
is predicted to be the most extreme fire danger Victoria has seen in
decades.

"All Victorians thinking of visiting a park should reconsider their plans
and stay out of the bush and parklands this Saturday. With extreme weather
predicted by the Bureau of Meteorology this weekend including extreme fire
risk, gale force winds and temperatures in the mid 40s, a number of parks in
high risk areas will be closed in the interests of public safety."

Temperatures are expected to be high with low humidity and high winds,
leading to extreme fire danger and risk of wind damage across much of the
state.

"We ask all Victorians to be aware of the safety issues during the fire
season including the risk of heat stress, falling trees in strong winds and
water safety when visiting the coasts, rivers and lakes," said Mr Stone.

"We urge park visitors to please review their plans to visit bushland and
park areas this Saturday.  To check which parks are open call the Parks
Victoria Information Centre on 13 1963 or visit www.parkweb.vic.gov.au."

All visitors are asked to refrain from lighting campfires this weekend,
particularly during days of Total Fire Ban which carries heavy penalties.

For information on visiting and camping in Victoria's parks call the Parks
Victoria Information Centre on 13 1963 or visit www.parkweb.vic.gov.au.  For
information on bushfires call the Victorian Bushfire Information Line on
1800 240 667 or visit www.dse.vic.gov.au/fires .  For fire and weather
reports stay tuned to your local ABC radio station.