birding-aus

Lapwing slaughter

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Lapwing slaughter
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 17:49:24 +1000
Hi all, just had a contact from David Conlin (below) in Berlin, who is thrilled with the response from Australia, and who says a big thank you to those of you who have helped out in the past 24 hrs, and encouragement for others to help inundate the EU with protests. The campaign is going well.

David said, " Have a look at this page as well

http://www.proact-campaigns.net/proact_france/stone_traps_02.html

We also campaigned on this with a previous French Environment minister - one M Sarkozy.

We have submitted a paper with photo and video documentation on this form of 'traditional' and non-selective trapping and have a date next week with the EC Environment Directorate to present our case for banning it. CABS teams visited these sites in winter 3 years running and found enough evidence (we believe) to show that they are not acceptable.

Otherwise we have similar anti-trapping campaigns and field operations in Italy, Spain and the Balkans."

Cheers,

Jill
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S	152° 56' 00"E

Jill Dening wrote:
Hi Everyone,

A dear friend of mine, David Conlin, is a member of a European group called Proact, which works against the slaughter of wild birds in Europe. Every year he goes to Malta for the raptor migration and gets roughed up by hunters when he is not careful. He has sent me the following link to a dreadful video, and asks for letters of protest to be sent to the European authorities to pressure them to change the laws. The French hunt Northern Lapwings legally. David said that when he was a lad the fields were thick with lapwings, but no longer.

Even if you do nothing, it's worth looking to see how the other half - the so-called civilised half - lives.

http://www.komitee.de/en/index.php?youtube_france

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia

26° 51' 41"S	152° 56' 00"E

No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.552 / Virus Database: 270.10.16 - Release Date: 30/01/2009 12:00 AM