birding-aus

Victorian Duck Hunting Season Announced

Subject: Victorian Duck Hunting Season Announced
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 16:37:44 +1100
BOCA and Birds Australia have jointly released the following statement.

*MEDIA RELEASE*

 *DUCK SEASON? NO WAY SAY BIRD GROUPS
*
National bird conservation organisations call on the Brumby Government to
re-think its irresponsible decision to allow a duck hunting season in 2009.
In a joint statement the CEO of Birds Australia, Graeme Hamilton and the CEO
of Bird Conservation and Observation Australia, Richard Hunter, expressed
their dismay and bafflement at what appears to be a decision based on
political pressure by shooters rather than hard evidence of a recovery in
duck numbers.

Duck numbers in eastern Australia are critically low as a result of 12 years
of drought. A national aerial survey of wetlands by Professor Richard
Kingsford last spring showed only limited recovery in some river systems
despite better seasonal conditions in parts of Queensland and northern NSW.
Most importantly, numbers of ducks in Victoria are low and only limited
breeding was seen.

The Bird Organisation CEOs say: There is simply no way Minister Jennings can
justify allowing a duck hunting season in 2009 when the season was cancelled
in 2007 and 2008 because duck numbers were considered to be too low. Across
Victoria and southern NSW duck populations are still dangerously low. Where
are the ducks Minister?

"We would like to see the monitoring methods and the data on which this
decision has been based. Any apparent increase in duck numbers is likely to
be a localised event where ducks are congregating in the few wetlands that
are in good condition. These few remaining ducks are the breeding stock for
a future recovery in numbers. By allowing these birds to be shot the
Minister is allowing the States ecological capital assets to be liquidated.
The CEOs said.

We are concerned that, in the absence of clear evidence that duck numbers
have recovered, the Minister (Premier) is simply bowing to pressure from the
shooters who are frustrated at not being allowed to pursue their hobby for
the past two seasons.

We call on the Premier to show some leadership and courage and to reverse
the decision to allow a duck hunting season before the first duck is lost,
the CEOs said

 Any wetlands still supporting ducks at this critical time should be treated
as refuges for ducks, not shooting ranges.

 Contacts for further information:

 Birds Australia: Chris Tzaros, Ph 03 9347 0757 or 0409 235 263

BOCA: Don Saunders Ph 03 9877 5342 (office) or 03 98441076 (A.H.)