birding-aus

Conditions report - Mt St Joseph pond, Altona, Vic

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Conditions report - Mt St Joseph pond, Altona, Vic
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:23:35 +1100
Just in case anyone is considering visiting the pond this weekend and wondering
if it's worth the effort after a week of searing heat:
- The main pond (south platform) has been dry for a week, and even the
Swamphens have gone.
- There are still two puddles of water at the north platform.  I suspect water
is leaching through from the water left sitting in the pipe under the platform,
so these are dropping more slowly than I expected.  I've had good views of a
Lewin's Rail there several times this week, and a couple of glimpses of a
Spotless Crake.

The north platform is in shadow early morning and late evening, otherwise
there's not a scrap of shade for poor souls trying to sit still for a couple of
hours.  Watching a puddle can be boring, but lots of birds are coming down to
drink, especially at the far puddle.  Spotted Doves, House Sparrows,
Greenfinches and Common Blackbirds are the most common, but New Holland and
White-plumed Honeyeaters, Australian Reedwarblers and Little Grassbirds are
also there at times.  In similar conditions last summer I saw a group of Brown
Quail drinking there.

Peter Shute==============================www.birding-aus.org