birding-aus

How not to behave when a vagrant species appears

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: How not to behave when a vagrant species appears
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 15:12:22 +1000
Yes, you get a different perspective when you look at the Birdforum thread on the subject.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=68735

In particular:

"presumably the 'they' you referred to are the newspaper reporters, not the twitchers. The report also reached the local news, where the term 'bird-lovers' was used instead of twitchers and apprently this was the first Rose-coloured Starling ever seen in Britain - later changed to currently in Britain - both of which were, as usual inaccurate. I saw the bird last Sunday and although showing to a few feet (yes I photographed it) it was feeding constantly on insects, catching one about every 30 secs.
By the way does anybody know if it was actually taken by a cat?"

"As one of the people whose gardens it visited during its stay I can confirm it was very tame, and that it was indeed killed by a cat, and a very heavy rainstorm. In fact it would probably have been killed a day or two earlier if it hadn't been for birders scaring off moggies left right and centre. The bird was weak when it arrived - had two huge ticks on it. It was also unconcerned about the presence of humans (possibly because of where it was born - though the Mongolia bit is something of a stretch!) and fed happily around people. Lies, damn lie, and The Sun (and Radio 4, The Times, The Mail, The Telegraph etc etc). "

"There are tw*ts in all walks of life. But as far as I saw, there were no major idiot moments around the starling. The bird was feeding fairly comfortably around people, taking no notice of them and sometimes coming towards them. There were plenty of secluded areas it could have gone if it was worried. Basically, a cat mauled it and after that it was never going to be able to survive the torrential downpour of Monday."