birding-aus

RFI Torrington CSA and Kwiambal NP, NSW

To: Carl Clifford <>
Subject: RFI Torrington CSA and Kwiambal NP, NSW
From: Tony Gibson <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 20:48:55 +1100
Hi All,

I have been thinking of a birding trip to Torrington State Cons Area and Kwiambal NP in the New England area of NSW. Has anyone on the list done any birding in these areas? I am particularly interested in going to Kwiambal NP, as my Grandfather used to lease the area that is now the NP?

Thanks in anticipation,

Carl Clifford

Hi Carl,

I've been atlassing for Birds Australia in Kwiambal NP twice a year since 1999. I do a 2 hectare, 20 minute search at Lemon Tree Flat ( basically the camping area) as well as a 500 metre area search from there, and a 5 km area search from Macintyre Falls. I can supply you with my spreadsheets for these if you like. I use Appleworks 6 but can transfer to Excel for Mac if either of those formats will work for you. The Excel files should translate to Windows. Email me off-list for these.

It's a fantastic spot - love being there. I have fond memories of going there when I was a kid 50 years ago.

Recommend upstream of the falls, as well as the Junction Track from Lemon Tree Flat to the confluence of the Macintyre and Severn rivers. The steep country above LTF can also be rewarding. I've never had much luck, birding-wise , on the Slippery Rock track from the Falls, although it's a pretty nice walk.

Good luck

--
Tony Gibson