birding-aus

Danish greeting - Princess Parrot and Night Parrot - BBC News - Parrot c

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Danish greeting - Princess Parrot and Night Parrot - BBC News - Parrot colony in Patagonia
From: "Peter H. Them" <>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:09:58 +0100
Dear All, Greeting from the rainy and a bit cold Denmark. Though not an Australian parrot, I thought I would share with you this very interesting BBC News about the worlds largest parrot colony - Patagonian Parrot (Cyanoliseus patagonus) - in Patagonia, Argentina:

As some of you mayby know, I am a parrotfreak, and as so I had since 1992 in Australia a few times been birding with the Parrots as the flagship, but unfortunately it is some years ago. Time running very fast.

The recent years I had been and still are parrot birding in South America and Africa. In 2008 I among visited the parrots and their friends in Ghana, Zambia and South Africa. BUT ... I have certainly not given up my wish in the wild Australia to see the Princess Parrot (Polytelis alexandrae) and the Night Parrot (Pezoporus occidentalis).

In 1999 I saw the Night Parrots 'cousin', the Ground Parrot at Barren
Grounds. At the same trip I went to two different destinations where
dead Night Parrots said to had been found. I didn't see the Night
Parrot, but mayby it saw me ... ! *smile*

I kindly ask if some of you have any good suggestions, ideas, etc. concerning an about visit the areas the Princess Parrot and the Night Parrot and hopefull see these two species. Any information would be most appreciated. Please email privately.
Best wishes,

Peter
Peter H. Them,
DK - Denmark