birding-aus

Plumed Whistling-Ducks on the move

Subject: Plumed Whistling-Ducks on the move
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 23:13:47 +1100
Hi all,

I received some photos from Suzanne Lollback of 9 Plumed Whistling-Ducks at Lake Wallace on Thursday (8th January). Lake Wallace is at Wallerawang near Lithgow in NSW and in many years of visiting the lake it's the first time I've been aware of them being there. As it happens I called in at the lake yesterday (9th) but there was no sign of them then.

This is interesting after the dozen reported from Wentworth Falls Lake (in the Blue Mountains 45km SE of Lake Wallace) on Christmas Eve. That was only the second record of PWDs in the Blue Mountains.

By the way, at Lake Wallace yesterday there was a single female Blue-billed Duck, at least a couple of Latham's Snipe, and the usual Musk Ducks, Great Crested Grebes, etc. The water level has dropped and looks suitable for seeing crakes again.

Cheers,

Carol