birding-aus

PACIFIC BAZA NESTING - 6.1.09 - WATTLE FLAT, ROYAL NATIONAL PARK SYDNEY

To: "'Baus'" <>
Subject: PACIFIC BAZA NESTING - 6.1.09 - WATTLE FLAT, ROYAL NATIONAL PARK SYDNEY
From: "Graham Buchan" <>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 19:02:53 +1100
Hi Folks,

Should have got this up yesterday but hey sue me!

Ray Gobbe, myself as well as two Danish birders Heidi and Martin Hansen went
to RNP to try to get Lyrebirds (eventually heard but not seen). We had a
great day's birding with the superb at the end of finding a Pacific Baza
nest at Wattle Flat (across the river from Lady Carrington Drive). To find
it go to the Wattle Flat car park and you will see a large covered barbeque
area with a green tin roof. Go to the covered area. Look over to the river
at 90 degrees to the length of the building. You will see some 120m away one
single table. The nest is almost over the top of the table. There are 2
young on the nest (about 1 month old I'd guess) being fed regularly by the
adults. A great opportunity for birders to get this highly local bird in
comfort and easily seen as well. Martin got some great photos. Prey seen
taken included lizard and cicadas from neighbouring trees. Also there was a
HUGE Goanna on trees near the water's edge.

Other birds seen:

Little Eagle (flying in circles with a Grey Goshawk)

Brown Goshawk

Rock Warblers near Jersey Springs (feeding on Lady Carrington Drive)

Black-Faced Monarch and Crested Shrike Tit just past Jersey Springs

Brown Cuckoo-Dove

Dollarbirds (nest hole at the last car park on Lady Carrington Drive)

Azure Kingfisher - Wattle Flat

Red Bellied Black Snake was seen at the southern end of Wattle Flat.

Very hot but very productive.

Cheers,

Graham Buchan