birding-aus

Spotted Quail-thrush at Girraween National Park

To: "'Judith Hoyle'" <>, "'BirdingAus'" <>
Subject: Spotted Quail-thrush at Girraween National Park
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Fri, 2 Jan 2009 19:22:55 +1030
Presume you mean you went tomorrow ?

-----Original Message-----
From:
 On Behalf Of Judith Hoyle
Sent: Friday, January 02, 2009 5:13 PM
To: BirdingAus

Hi Everyone,

Posted this sighting on eremea but thought I'd put it on here, too.
Went to Girraween NP on 30 January - a really hot day!  At about 2 pm,
found a female Spotted Quail-thrush down the Robertson's Hole walking
track about 50 metres from the Underwater Creek junction.  It was
feeding close to the track on the right hand side (heading down towards
the water hole) and then flew over onto the other side of the track.
This was a new Queensland bird for me and a lifer for Peter - he missed
the first sighting of it, but then picked it up on the left hand side by
following the contact call.  We assume the male was near by but, because
we were on a tight time frame, we did not go after it.

Also had great views of Turquoise Parrots near the Pyramid Rock Winery
on the Old Wallangarra Road.  The place was also teeming with Brown
Treecreepers - always nice to see in this part of Queensland, and Peter
got a fleeting glimpse of a Diamond Firetail.

Regards

Judith

Judith Hoyle
Brisbane