birding-aus

Rufous Fantail and others at Wilson Reserve

Subject: Rufous Fantail and others at Wilson Reserve
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 10:17:38 +0800 (WST)
  A walk this morning to check what effect Melbourne's recent heavy rain has
had - there
were no ducks visible (probably checking temporary ponds and puddles for new
food
sources), and no Dusky Moorhens either.
  To judge by their song, there were large numbers of Golden Whistlers - good
view of
one male bird by the river bank.

  Upstream, behind the Ivanhoe Golfcourse in the Horseshoe Billabong section, I
found a
Rufous Fantail flitting about in the large Silver Wattle next to the Bat-Gate
(the
entrance to the peninsula used for experimental housing of Flying Foxes a few
years
ago).
  I had a splendid view of the Fantail as it darted about between low bushes
and the
upper branches of the Wattle. No camera, today, alas! It seemed a little larger
than
Grey Fantails and was a brilliant orange-brown colour.

   Rufous Fantails seem quite uncommon in this area - I believe this would be
the fifth
I have seen in the past ten years or so. I believe them to be passage migrants.
Most
were seen in late October/early November, but I did once see one in autumn.

  At present Coprosma berries are ripe (Native Currants) - one clump of bushes
was
occupied by about a dozen Red Wattlebirds, most of them rather young birds,
still
short-winged with baby flanges on the bill. Another clump was full of
Silvereyes.

Anthea Fleming