birding-aus

why swamphens have white undertail coverts

Subject: why swamphens have white undertail coverts
From: "Evan Beaver" <>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 11:58:15 +1100
I haven't read the paper yet, I'll have a look later. However, I'd
wondered the same thing about rabbits and deer, that both have white
under their tails. In rabbits, I think it's to break up the outline
while they're running away. From behind you see a moving grey/white
spot that, surprisingly, disappears into the greenery.

Difficult to prove the why's of evolution, but maybe this helps as
well? The undertail just needs to be a different colour for
signalling, not necessarily white. Maybe the white is an adventageous
colour for camoflage?

Slightly off-topic: Did anyone see Intelligent Design On Trial the
other night? I didn't realise how roundly it had been dismissed. The
scientists on the ID side didn't do their reputations any credit by so
obviously ignoring evidence that discreditted their theory.

EB