birding-aus

Crested Hawks, East Kurrajong, NSW

To: <>
Subject: Crested Hawks, East Kurrajong, NSW
From: "Eric Finley" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 08:22:16 +1100
My parents were fortunate enough to have Pacific Bazas nest in in their
garden in Kurrajong Hills a few years back. The immature birds seemed to
hang around with the adults and remain in their territory for months
after fledging. At one stage it appeared the adults were nesting for a
second time, with the previous batch of young still present in the area,
but the second nesting was not successful for reasons unknown.
Unfortunately, due to the location of the nest in a very tall Grey Gum
surrounded by other Grey Gums, ironbarks and turpentines, it was not
possible to view the nest clearly but was wonderful to have these birds
present around the garden. They still return each spring and visit the
area occasionally but I have not seen any nesting activity the past few
years, or parties of more than 2 birds. Prior to moving to Kurrajong, we
also had the occasional visit from bazas to our garden in Galston, near
Hornsby on Sydney's northern outskirts, and these were sometimes in
groups of 3-4 adults. The occasions when they were seen in groups seemed
to be associated with the presence of large numbers of stick insects in
the crowns of the eucalypts, a favoured food item of the bazas.

Eric Finley