birding-aus

CBOC outing, Ebenezer 30th of Novemeber

Subject: CBOC outing, Ebenezer 30th of Novemeber
From: "" <>
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 16:21:54 +0900

Cumberland Bird Observers Club outing - Swallow Reach, Ebenezer 30th of November 2008. Led by Keith Brandwood.

Early starters battled the mist and arrived at Argyle Bailey Memorial Reserve at 7:00am. In and around the carparck and the nearby church we could hear Bar-shouldered Dove and Wonga Pigeon along with 6 species of Cuckoo! These included: Fan-tailed, Brush, Pallid, Horsfield's Bronze, Channel-billed and Koel. Later on we added Shining Bronze.

We then set off on the Swallow Reach walk along the Hawkesbury River. Around the start of the walk we got good views of a Rainbow Bee-Eater, Scarlet Honeyeater and soon Keith was succesful in calling up a Pallid Cuckoo. A little further down the track we came across a beautiful Mistletoebird feeding in a large casurina. While watching this we were entertained by a Crested Shrike-Tit and a party of Sittelas. As we were about to head on we heard an Owlet-Nightjar calling.

From here along the walk some of the more interesting birds encountered consisted of White-rumped Needletail, Sacred Kingfisher, Darter, Aussie Grebe with 3 chicks and a couple of Hardheads.

When we returned, we met up with the late starters, had morning tea and then headed for a nearby reserve, off Swallow Reach Place. At the reserve, which consisted off dry woodland, wetter forest and grass areas, we picked up Common Bronzewing, Brown Gerygone, juvenile Sea Eagle and a spectacular Wedge-tailed Eagle cruising over.

We then went back to the Memorial Reserve where the later starters did the walk. The only additional species found were Shining Bronze-Cuckoo and Restless Flycatcher (both heard). Upon returning we had lunch and farewelled some of the group.

Frome here, we drove to our final destination - Wheeny Lagoon. On the way there some of the group saw an Australian Hobby fly-by.

The lagoon is on private property, but the owner (who walked us around) was very friendly and a good friend of Keith. The point of coming to the lagoon was to find the 8 or so Wandering Whistling-Ducks which had become regulars at the lagoon for quite a while now. After scanning the centre of the lagoon with scopes, we walked around the edge to the western side of the lagoon. On the way there we disturbed a Nankeen (Rufous) Night-Heron, but also saw Black-winged Stilt, Intermediate and Eastern Great Egret, female Shoveler and a female Chestnut Teal.

When we reached a good viewing point at the end of the lagoon we set up the scopes and began searching. A little while later, after observing a Leaden Flycatcher, 2 whistling-ducks popped out from the reeds! Very soon after they were joined by another 4! We all got a fabulous look at these county rarities.

Apart from all the action on the lake we could hear Cicadabird, Brush Cuckoo and White-throated Gerygone. Keith called up the Brush Cuckoo and after a difficult time setting the scopes to him we all got a decent look.

On the way back we came across a large Eastern Grey Kangaroo and a colony of Night-herons roosting in an area of casurinas. There must've been about 7-8 of them and it was interesting to see them circling around and honking all the while.

Back at the cars some of us decided to go looking for crakes. None were found, but the group did find some Red-kneed Dotterels and another county rarity - Tawny Grassbird!

At the end of the day we tallied up and the official bird count for the day was 108! We had all enjoyed birding with Keith on such a wonderful day and as always the Hawkesbury region did not dissapoint!

Thanks to Keith Brandwood and participants for a very succesful day.

Max Breckenridge,

Gladesville, Sydney...