birding-aus

Trip Report: Lady Elliot Island

To: <>
Subject: Trip Report: Lady Elliot Island
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2008 21:26:40 +1000
Hello everyone. I have just returned from a five day visit to Lady Elliot
Island. I had four target species: Red-tailed Tropicbird, Roseate Tern,
Black-naped Tern, and Great Frigatebird. All four were located fairly
easily, although The Black-naped Terns are not common.  I did in fact end up
with one extra (unexpected tick) in the last few hours of my stay.a
Red-footed Booby made a short appearance over the island and I was lucky
enough to get off a couple of shots. I feel this sighting may be noteworthy
after checking with the staff on the island. It is not on the island
birdlist and the staff have no knowledge of it being seen before.
Understandably they were very interested in seeing the shots!

At this time of the year the island has large numbers of breeding Terns &
Noddies, as well as Wedge-tailed Shearwaters. Black Noddies, Common Noddies,
and Bridled Terns are abundant and breeding all over the island. Most are at
the incubating or nest building stage. There is a colony of Crested Terns
and a small colony of breeding Roseate Terns. Red-tailed Tropic birds are
also breeding with most nestlings getting ready to leave. The Shearwaters
howl all night and keep you awake...the resort actually provides ear-plugs
in each cabin!

Waders are present in smaller numbers with Turnstones and Pacific Golden
Plovers by far the most common. Both the Tattlers are present and it was a
good opportunity to hone my identification skills. I now feel I have a
handle on the calls which is a help. Both Frigatebirds are also common. The
juveniles are easily confused but the adults are also difficult if you don't
see them in the air. Land birds are very scarce, but I must admit I didn't
spend much time looking for them. Buff-banded rails and Silvereyes are
ridiculously tame and a bit of a nuisance around the dining area. One night
I had a disoriented Crested Tern land right in my dinner plate!

My wife and son are not into birds but had a great time snorkelling, which
is about the best I've experienced anywhere. Turtles are also nesting at
this time of year and added interest to the visit. In summing up I would say
that one day should be enough to locate the island's specialties, but if you
are into photography or diving or snorkelling I would recommend staying a
few days.

Bird List:

Wedge-tailed Shearwater        (Common)

Eastern Reef Egret                (Common)

Red-tailed Tropicbird             (Just a few pairs in front of the
waterfront cabins)

Great Frigatebird                    (Common)

Lesser Frigatebird                  (Common)

Red-footed Booby                 (One seen flying over)

Brown Booby                         (Common)

Buff-banded Rail                    (Very Common & tame)

Pied Oystercatcher                 (One pair seen)

Sooty Oystercatcher               (Two pairs Seen)

Pacific Golden Plover             (Very common)

Greater Sand Plover                (Fairly common)

Bar-tailed Godwit                    (A few on the airstrip)

Whimbrel                                (Scarce)

Grey-tailed Tattler                   (Fairly common on the exposed reef)

Wandering Tattler                   (Fairly common favouring the rocky SE
side of the island)

Ruddy Turnstone                    (Very common)

Red-necked Stint                   (Scarce)

Silver Gull                              (Common)

Crested Tern                          (Very common)

Bridled Tern                           (Abundant & nesting all over,
including around the cabins. Watch where you step!)

Roseate Tern                         (Fairly common.small breeding colony on
the South side)

Black-naped Tern                   (Scarce.favouring the Western side)

Common Noddy                     (Abundant)

Black Noddy                          (Abundant.nesting in every tree)

Tawny Grassbird                    (Probably common, although I only saw
one)

Silvereye (Capricorn race)       (Very common)

House Sparrow                       (Common)

28 species.

Highlights were the Red-footed Bobby and finally getting some decent shots
of Wandering Tattler. Main disappointment was not getting any flying shots
of the Tropicbirds.

If anyone is interested I have created a gallery on my pbase site at
http://www.pbase.com/sjmurray/lady_elliot_island_2008

Cheers Steve Murray