birding-aus

RFI Cairns and Mt Isa

To: (Birding-Aus)
Subject: RFI Cairns and Mt Isa
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:08:36 +0000
Hey all,

Well, now that my Bowra trip is done and over with, it is now time for me to
start planning my next trip. I have a break between semesters from December
14-January 18. During that time I am going to attempt a pretty ambious trip. I
am going to head up towards Cairns, then to Mt Isa, continue on to Darwin, then
down to Alice Springs, and finally back across to the Gold Coast. I know it is
alot of driving and that it'll be the rainy season, but hell, i'm only in
Australia once so I might as well try it. Anyways, this is my first of a few
RFI's for various parts of the trip. Hopefully people in each section will be
able to point me in the right direction. I have been looking at the archieves
alot, but just wanted to see if there was any updated info. Thanks for anyone
who can help me out. And of course, if anyone is willing to meet up and bird
while i'm in their region, that'd be sweet. I'm willing to pay for all the
petrol and stuff.

Cairns area:
Dec 17-24
I think I am going to stay at Kingfisher Park a few nights and then probably
randomly at other locations for the rest of the nights.
Any info on "good" areas at the moment would be appreciated. Also anyone have
recent sightings of the following species?
Sarus Crane
Red-necked Crake
Fig-Parrot
Pygmy Geese
Lesser Sooty Owl
Paupan Frogmouth
Mountain Thornbill
Fernwren
Atherton Scrubwren
Bridled Honeyeater
Golden Bowerbird
Tooth-billed Bowerbird
Blue-faced Parrot Finch

Mt Isa area:
Dec 25-28
What places do people recommend I go to?
Purple-crowned Fairy-Wren
Rufous-crowned Emu-Wren
Dusky Grasswren
Carpentarian Grasswren
Spinexbird
Yellow Chat
Painted Finch
Pictorella Mannikin

Also, on my drive up towards Cairns, I plan on trying for Eungella Honeyeater
on 16th of Dec. Anyone have updates on road conditions for the area or any
specific spots where they've been seen recently?

Thanks for any help,
Ross Gallardy
Robina, QLD