birding-aus

Masked lapwing behaviour

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Masked lapwing behaviour
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 17:31:49 +1100
G'day all,

I have lately made multiple observations of masked lapwings in unusual areas
where I wouldn't usually expect to see them. Most recently I saw a pair
attempting to nest on a very steep sloping roof. I'm sure the birds would
have endured much frustration everytime their eggs rolled off!

Also I feel that I see more Masked Lapwings in my area (Sydney's North
Shore) these days. Most places I see habitat which is even remotely suitable
for lapwings there is a resident pair or at least an individual. Population
density seems to be increasing as well, at my University Campus (Macquarie)
I counted around 10 birds which was probably about 3 or 4 pairs, some with
chicks and some with nests within a few dozen metres of one another, which
is not behavior I would usually expect from such a territorial bird.

My theory for the increase in numbers and change of habits was because of a
possible increase in survival rate of young, causing increase in local
population numbers. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

Kurtis Lindsay