birding-aus

Water treatment ponds at Richmond, nw of Sydney

To: <>
Subject: Water treatment ponds at Richmond, nw of Sydney
From: "Eric Finley" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:51:29 +1100
On a short drive in the Hawkesbury Swamps last Sat I drove from
Cornwallis Rd up Cuppitts Lane and turned right onto Dights Rd - behind
the Richmond RAAF base.

A short way along on the right and below the road is what appears to be
some kind of water treatment works. Its clearly visible as 2 main
rectangular ponds and 2 smaller ponds on Google Earth.

Im not sure if these ponds are named but was surprised at the number of
waterfowl on them. Theyre a little distant for worthwhile binoc use from
the road, which was all I managed, but I could make out a good number of
Hardhead, Black Duck, Chestnut and poss Grey Teal, Black Swan, and at
least 2 Pink-eared Ducks, plus egrets and lapwings. The variety and
number of birds indicated a worthwhile little spot - especially if a
better/closer vantage point was available. I wonder if any of the
regular Hawkesbury birders are familiar with this place and have any
suggestions for viewing it (I would assume its off limits for entry -
fenced off).

On a similar note, the ponds to the west of the Hawkesbury Valley Way -
the new elevated road by passing Windsor centre from Mulgrave - always
seem to be holding good numbers of waterfowl when I drive across here. A
flock of several hundred Long-billed Corellas are often present in the
evenings in this area. I assume this is also a no-go zone contiguous
with the McGrath's Hill STW but would also be interested in hearing from
anyone who knows of a vantage point where you can legally stop and view
- not an option on the elevated road.

Cheers
Eric