birding-aus

Re: Subject: [Birding-Aus] For the Bird Photographer who has Everything

Subject: Re: Subject: [Birding-Aus] For the Bird Photographer who has Everything and wants More
From: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 18:09:32 +1000
Hi Akos,

I was kidding! I think Carl was kidding too, about selling his daughter for
one:) Its just the little kid in me, that likes the idea of walking around
with a lens that looks just like a rocket launcher: )

In my opinion,  its probably targeted towards more lucrative sports
photography, I think, because like you said, its over priced and there is a
good range of lenses much more useful and cheaper for birders.

PS. I'm also wondering why you don't like Sigma lenses? They make some
beauties, from the old f/5.6 400mm prime, to the 120-300mm f/2.8 zoom, the
Sig-monster 300-800mm, and the f/2.8 200mm  & 300mm primes. I also wouldn't
cry about owning a Sigma 10-20mm super wide angle if I came across a sharp
copy, and the 30mm f/1.4 prime.

Perhaps the `typical' sigma birding lenses, the 50-500mm and the 80-400mm
OS, are not in the callibre of the Canon L telephotos. Is that what you
meant? I can agree, in theory, but  I've also seen some exceptional bird
photos taken by each of them in the hands of good photographers. Especially
with the 50-500mm Bigma/ Sony A900 combo.