birding-aus

Magpie Nesting

To: <>
Subject: Magpie Nesting
From: "Barbara B." <>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 12:48:38 +1000
Greeting List,

I have recently become a "Bird Watcher" and my interest was aroused by a group
of  five magpies which came into my yard area,
and I hope that you may be able to answer a question for me regarding their
nesting habits.

Over a period of months this group's number came down to two , as I noticed a
dominate magpie began to force others away
when they fed at my front door.

For the past two months I have been delighted to be able to watch the behaviour
of these two remaining magpies, who without
fail would be at my front door each morning for the  small offering I would
give them, and if I happened  to forget they would warble
until I noticed them.

They built their nest which was close enough for me to see and observe there
comings and goings, and over time it became apparent that the incubation was
not successful.

During this past week I  have noticed that they were  not flying back to the
nest ,and that one magpie was flying into another tree where a new nest was
under construction.

My question is...... why wouldn't they use the first nest? as a lot of blood
sweat and tears  went into building it.

I look forward to your response, thank you

Barbara / Queensland.