birding-aus

Radjah Shelducks, Lytton, SEQ

To: (Birding-Aus)
Subject: Radjah Shelducks, Lytton, SEQ
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 23:19:01 +0000
Hey all,

Yesterday morning I found a Radjah Shelduck at GJ Oval off of Sandycamp Rd. in
Lytton. The bird was seen on the back side of the pond and was usually inside
the far group of tree. I returned to the location in the afternoon to show Paul
Walbridge and Bob Ingles the bird and after viewing a single Radjah for 15
minutes, I found a second bird. Both of the shelducks stayed on the backside of
the pond and were usually concealed by the trees or taller grass. If you go
lookinig for the birds, be patient because it might take 10-15 minutes until
they are visible. There were also around 10 Wandering Whistling Ducks on the
pond.

How many records are there for Redjah Shelduck in SEQ? Paul said that he knew
of a pair that were seen in NSW, but he wasn't sure of any other records for
the Brisbane area.

Also, there is a Tawny Frogmouth nest on the opposite side of the road from GJ
Oval.

Good Birding,
Ross Gallardy