birding-aus

Photography and disturbing birds (long)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Photography and disturbing birds (long)
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:39:34 +1100
In my experience of bird photography I have learnt that you only ever
get a good shot (unless you're very, very lucky) when the bird doesn't
care whether you take a shot of it or not (or hasn't seen you). This
would preclude birds that are stressed by the presence of the
photographer.

But we shouldn't get ultra-puritan about disturbing birds either. We
shouldn't do things that are going to disturb birds unnecessarily,
especially around nests, but, at the same time, the life of small
birds is constant disturbance, and if humans aren't around they are
disturbed by other birds and animals, predators of all kinds. They
have to be constantly on the alert. (I walk past a Swallow's nest in
the car-park of the office building I work in every day, and so do
many other people; the Swallows were going fine until two days ago,
when a party of Currawongs went through the car-park systematically
searching out nests (mainly Starlings and Mynahs). The Swallow's nest
is now deserted)

Yes it's sad if a rare bird such as a Painted Snipe is driven away by
bird-watchers or photographers, but the vastly greater tragedy is that
our society has destroyed so much wetland in southern Australia that
the Painted Snipe has declined in numbers, so that it is rare.

John Leonard

--
John Leonard
Canberra