birding-aus

Birds at the edge of the concrete jungle

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Birds at the edge of the concrete jungle
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:01:33 +1000
The concrete heart of a city is an unfriendly place for most bird species - relatively few species (other than Rock Pigeons who are in their element) venture across the bitumen from the CBD fringe parks into the high rise precinct. Silver Gulls, Peregrines, Torresian Crows, Pied Currawongs, White Ibis and Welcome Swallows are exceptions in Brisbane.

What I find interesting are the birds that come to the very edge of the concrete jungle. At lunchtime today I noticed a Bush Thickknee camped beside the footpath running along Turbot St [northern edge of the CBD]. As I rode along the cycle path beneath the Riverside Expressway this afternoon, I noticed an intermediate morph Mangrove Bittern near the Queens St Bridge. Again, it was only a few metres from the concrete. It was very tame and didn't mind my presence - I must say that I had never noticed the burnt orange leg colour before. It was also the first time I'd seen one standing beside a Silver Gull - and realised that it was virtually the same size as the gull.

These aren't species you'd expect to find in a concrete environment and so it is interesting to me that they will come right to the edge of it.

Regards, Laurie.