birding-aus

Birds in the UK or USA

Subject: Birds in the UK or USA
From: Nikolas Haass <>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2008 03:12:20 -0700 (PDT)
Best European field guide (probably the best quality bird field guide
world-wide):
Collins Bird Guide: Birds of Britain and Europe by Lars Svensson and Peter
Grant, illustrated by Killian Mullarney and Dan Zetterstrom. 1999.

Best American field guides:
Field Guide to the Birds of North America by National Geographic Society. 2006.
Fifth Edition. This standard field guide was very considerably revised and
up-dated with the third edition in 1999 (with 80 new species, some 35 new
plates and many other changes). This fifth edition includes fully up-dated
distribution maps and 80 species more than the fourth edition, with 504 pages
and colour plates throughout.
AND
The North American Bird Guide by David Sibley. 2000. Superb and a 'must' for
anyone interested in North American birds. With over 6,000 outstanding colour
illustrations.

I haven't seen the new "Peterson" yet: Peterson Field Guide to Birds of North
America by Roger Tory Peterson. 2008. An enlarged and digitally fully updated
edition of the classic field guide, with 544 pages, updated colour plates and
detailed, large format distribution maps.

Best Japanese bird book (there is currently no state-of-the-art field guide
available):
A Photographic Guide to the Birds of Japan and North-East Asia by Tadao Shimba.
2007. A comprehensive guide, with 504 pages and over 1,500 colour photographs.

I haven't seen Mark Brazil's new book yet:
Birds of East Asia by Mark Brazil. An up-to-date field guide covering the whole
eastern Asia, including eastern Russia, China, Taiwan, Korea and Japan, with
528 pages, 234 colour plates and species distribution maps.

Nikolas Haass

Sydney, NSW