birding-aus

Swans with neck-rings - Banyule Flats

To: "birding aus" <>
Subject: Swans with neck-rings - Banyule Flats
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 18:13:14 +1100
Anthea

There was a recent study of swans at Albert Park Lake and many of the
subjects were neck-banded.  The results of the study were summarised in one
of the daily papers some months ago.

Regards

David

             h.net.au
             birding-aus-bounc
                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
             22/10/08 05:44 PM         [Birding-Aus] Swans with neck-rings
                                       - Banyule Flats

This morning at Banyule Flats I saw two Black Swans on the Yarra. They were
preening as
they stood on a small rock-reef, under a high bank. They were definitely
not the pair
now resident with two cygnets at Banyule Flats Swamp, because both had been
fitted with
neck rings or collars.

  I did my best to read the numbers with binoculars, without success, and
also took four
or five photos.  I next tried to find a better vantage point for closer
photos,
without success. I continued on along the track to the Plenty River
footbridge, where
the Swans caught up with me, swimming upstream, and going quite fast. This
time I got
a brief view of the collars and noted down the numbers which were 002 G82
and ---X14.
At home I enlarged the photos on my computer as much as possible and got
the same
result.

  Does anyone know where the birds have come from and where and why they
were banded in
this way?

Anthea Fleming