birding-aus

Little Grassbird call

To: "" <>, birdingaus <>
Subject: Little Grassbird call
From: Peter Shute <>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 21:00:28 +1100
There's one at:
http://www.abc.net.au/archives/av/birds.htm
(under G, not L) but the bird in question is very faint on it, overwhelmed by
what I assume are Clamorous reed-warblers.  Clamorous Reed-warbler is available
on that page too, if you don't know the call.

It's a very thin per-peeee-peeee.  The first time I heard it, I thought it was
coming from a nearby factory.

There are a couple of other calls that I suspect they occasionally make, but
haven't ever seen the bird responsible actually making them (which is what
you'd expect for grassbirds).  One I can barely begin to describe, a sort of
quiet scolding/laughing sound (I bet you can't begin to imagine what I mean),
and the other is a very soft version of the Eastern Rosella's 6 note piping
call.  As I said, I've never been able to track down what's making these calls
around my local pond, but I'm not sure what else it could be.  I'd be
interested to know what others think.  The first alternate call I just
described can be heard on BOCA CD 10, track 42, at about the 45 second mark,
but the other one isn't on there.

Peter Shute