birding-aus

Recent visit to Alice Springs

To: <>
Subject: Recent visit to Alice Springs
From: "Bruce Deuel" <>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 16:43:03 -0700
Greetings.
I've just returned from a 30-day visit to Australia, seeing over 300 life birds
in the effort.  Because I sent an inquiry to this list about birding around
Alice Springs, I thought I would post the results of that part of our visit.
We arrived early on Thursday, 2 October and left at noon on 6 October.  We
visited the treatment ponds (twice); Olive Pink Botanic Garden, the Old
Telegraph Station, and Desert Park in Alice Springs; Ormiston Gorge (but didn't
do the Pound walk), Ochre Pits, Serpentine Gorge, Ellery Creek Big Hole, and
Simpson's Gap in the West Macdonnells; Kunoth Well; and the Santa Teresa Road
as far as Tire in the Pole, the latter 2 spots with local birder William
Cormack.
    Highlights for us were Hoary-headed Grebe, Black-tailed Native-hen, and
Red-necked Avocet at the treatment ponds, Pink Cockatoo on the road to
Ormiston, Ring-necked Parrot many places, Mulga and Bourke's Parrots at Kunoth
Well (it took about 5 km of walking for the latter), Redthroat at the Telegraph
Station entrance gate, White-winged and Splendid Fairy-wrens, Red-capped Robin
at Simpson's Gap, and Orange Chat at the treatment ponds.  Obviously, our big
disappointment was missing the spinifex specialties and the Painted Finch, but
we feel we put in a good effort for the former.
    Our last new birds of the trip were 14 Budgerigars at the waterhole in the
garden at the Alice Springs airport as we were waiting to check in for our
flight out.  I'd be happy to provide more details on this or any other part of
our trip to anyone interested.

Cheers,
Bruce Deuel
Red Bluff, CA USA