birding-aus

Penrith area activity

Subject: Penrith area activity
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 18:57:18 +1100
Hi birders...

While walking my doggies this afternoon in Penrith, near the Sydney Water STP
swamp, I found at least three if not four Dusky Woodswallow nests (with what I
think
the female incubating, being fed by males) as low as 1-2m off the ground, a Red-
browed Finch building a nest, at least one pair of Red-rumped Parrots in a gum
tree
hollow and a few pairs of Rainbow Lorikeets too. Not mentioning the countless
Golden-headed Cisticolas that were advertising their availability in their
beautiful
breeding plumage. I also saw a pair of birds that reminded me of White-plumed
Honeyeaters by shape and size at least, but appeared to have a nest low in the
grasses
off the path, and I was not keen to check with my two rather large and happy
dogs in
tow.

What a spot! I love it.

Regards