birding-aus

White-browed Babbler at The You Yangs, Victoria

Subject: White-browed Babbler at The You Yangs, Victoria
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 13:37:50 +1100
We'll see :-)  Getting from Castlemaine to the Brisbane Ranges or the You
Yangs for a bird that is such a scrub-hugger is still a mighty achievement.
BTW, Red-capped Robin is a resident of the greater Melbourne area (Grey Box
woodlands, Long Forest mallee, etc.) and has been for quite some time.
 Honeyeaters, swallows and kingfishers are all prodigious fliers, so less
surprising (to me), and Fuscous Honeyeaters have always visited the greater
Geelong area in winter in very small numbers from my observations.

You're generally right about the others though - and the last time I saw
White-backed Swallows in the deep south was at Inverleigh Common in March
and June 1979 ...

Lawrie