birding-aus

Soldier crab breeding cycle

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Soldier crab breeding cycle
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 08:50:37 +1000
Hi,

Yesterday I commented to my companions that we often noticed Grey-tailed Tattlers and some other species gorging on soldier crabs in about April, as they were preparing for migration. I also commented that they are bad economy for shorebirds, as there is so much tough stuff to digest for so little energy gain. One of our team suggested that the breeding cycle of the soldier crab may be such that in April it is full of eggs, and that perhaps there is a greater energetic benefit for shorebirds at that time of year.

However, on further thought, I considered the greater size of an adult soldier crab, and perhaps it is too big for a shorebird to take. I have not seen a shorebird take one of the larger individuals. Perhaps they only take immature soldier crabs. And could they have softer shells?

It's an interesting thought though. Is there anyone out there who knows anything about this, or who can forward this question to someone who might know?

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening