birding-aus

Seven Mile Lagoon, Lockyer Valley

Subject: Seven Mile Lagoon, Lockyer Valley
From: "Colin R" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 09:58:56 +1000
Hi All

Took a day out in the Lockyer Valley on Saturday just past in search of
Banded Lapwings and Freckled Duck - both of which we saw, thanks for the
update.

Ran into a few locals - especially one near Seven Mile - he was upset at
our walking across his field to the fence - irregardless of the fact
that that he has no fence erected between his house and his dam - how
would we know? Anyway - if you are planning on entering the land around
the flooded area, enter it where the fence runs beside the road, do not
drive or walk across the open field between the road and the fence.
Incidentally the flooded area and the land 'inside' the fence is council
land so there shd be no problem accessing it for a better view of the
duck and waders.
We also met a farmer at Lester Bridge (he owns the property immediately
around the bridge.) He was very friendly and helpful and offered us the
opportunity to walk on his property to look for the Blue-winged
Kookaburra - and said he was happy for this to happen so long as anyone
checked at the farm house first. (We didn't see the bird and her hadn't
seen it for a while) Interestingly he advised that the new road to the
prison (Miller's Rd, 6km along the Esk rd) also had Blue-winged Kooks.
We went looking but only found 2 Laughing Kooks) but it was the middle
of the day and everything was sheltering form the heat.
Banded Laps were seen between Atkinson's and Seven Mile off the bitumen
road just past the swampy area on the left.. hard to describe exactly
where,but will be more specific if anyone wants directions - could be
easily overlooked as they were on and over the top of the ridge about
200 meters from the road.
The Frecked Duck was exactly where described and we had great views
through the scope as it was disturbed by an Ibis. We noted it's thick
ankles....? I reckon it's from swimming through thickening muddy water
out west when evaporation starts... anyone else have any thoughts?

Cheers
Colin
Brisbane
--