birding-aus

Bush Chick-knees

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Bush Chick-knees
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 20:32:58 +1000
Last week I mentioned a pair of Bush Thick-knees (Burhinus grallarius) with a pair of recently hatched chicks. I intended to photograph them last week, but it was a bit too wet to take a camera to work last Thursday. However the weather was fine today so I lugged the camera into town.

Thick-knees are wont to change their roosting sites and they weren't in any of the spots where I had previously seen them. I found different pair of Thick-knees at the far end of the park - a passing gardener noted that they were incubating eggs.

I eventually found the family I was looking for in a garden bed and took a series of photos - I've loaded a couple onto ABID. They should be available at http://www.aviceda.org/abid/newimages.php once Tom Tarrant loads them. I could only see one chick while I was taking the photographs. I found the other one when I examined the photos on the computer - It was peeking out the back of its parent's wing. Very cute.

I congratulated the parents on their fine offspring and left them to enjoy a bit of peace and quiet before the lunch crowd arrived.

Regards, Laurie.