birding-aus

facebook etc

To: Dan Blunt <>, Birding-Aus <>
Subject: facebook etc
From: Trevor Hampel <>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:10:15 +0930

Dan Blunt wrote:
Hi interested networking fans

I have been a net user since 1996 and created websites etc. I've heard it all. "Never enter creditcard details etc, you will get scammed". or something similar. It's never happened. I have had pictures from my sites used by unauthorised persons but I do let people use them 'not for profit' etc. Networking sites etc are not compulsory. if you don't trust them, don't use them. In all my years I've never had a scam but have had spam - who hasn't. In reality as far as I know, you can only sue for what the image etc is worth, and in reality unless it's super special these days it's worth didly squat. So i take the approach that the more people that see my images the better as it builds a positive approach and appreciation of birds etc. and is better than none. I felt privileged when an image of mine turned up on a conservation research site.

Although alot of rubbish turns up on facebook, ignore it. Look at the positives and don't post anything you think is important to you. In the end, out of the millions of images posted, who really cares about a few birders getting together discussing birds. We are but a few of the 6 billion people on earth.

Cheerio
Dan Blunt

Dan's experiences mirror my own.

I am regularly asked for permission to use my bird photos. These have appeared in community newspapers, on websites, in magazines, e-newsletters, and a range of pamphlets, most of them with some sort of conservation or avian theme. I've also been asked permission for the use of my photos for seminars in a range of social, educational and professional organisations.

All I ever ask is acknowledgment of me as the photographer and a link to my birding blog URL. All have been happy to do this.

On only one occasion has an image of mine been used without my permission. When contacted the person concerned quickly apologised and made amends with an acknowledgment.

On the other hand, if I made my living from my photos I guess I would take an entirely different approach.

Happy birding,

--
Trevor Hampel
Murray Bridge