birding-aus

Black Cockatoo-Fleurieu Peninsula SA

To: "'Birding Aus'" <>
Subject: Black Cockatoo-Fleurieu Peninsula SA
From: "Steve" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 09:30:18 +1000
Hi all.I was camping at Deep Creek Conservation Park on the tip of the
Fleurieu Peninsula in SA a couple of days ago and was puzzled by an
observation of a Black Cockatoo which I am fairly certain was NOT an
Yellow-tailed Black. I know YTBC's are common in the area, and I did see a
small flock on the second day. However, late in the afternoon of the 28th
Aug I heard a fairly strong single syllable cockatoo call which reminded me
of a Red-tailed Black (which I have heard before), and just managed to catch
a glimpse of the bird flying in the distance but was unable to see any
colour. My impression was that it did not have the long emaciated look of a
YTBC. The call was totally unlike YTBC. My credentials on Black cockatoos
are not that great but I am quite familiar with Yellow-tails which are
common in my area (Brisbane); I have seen Red-tails a few times in FNQ; and
I have seen Glossies only once (and am not too familiar with the call). The
distribution maps in my field guides show Red-tails further to the east and
Glossies only on Kangaroo Island, which is why I am making this posting. My
question is: are there records of Black cockatoos other than YTBC on the
peninsula? Is it more likely to be a stray Glossy from Kangaroo island, or a
Red-tail out of range?  Any comments from SA birders would be welcome.

Cheers Steve Murray