birding-aus

Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina

To: "'Graham Turner'" <>, "'Baus'" <>
Subject: Re: Painted Finch north of Jerilderie, NSW Riverina
From: "Charles Silveira" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 18:09:34 +1000
Greetings All,

I would like to add that back in October 1982 I was based near Barmah,
Victoria, while conducting a bird survey of the Murray Valley region for the
then Fisheries & Wildlife Division (Martin O'Brien of this list was also
present some of the time).  During the field-trip, I met up with a local
farmer-naturalist, the late Allan Corry, who was adamant that he and
friends/family had discovered an inland population of a finch that he
thought must have been the Beautiful Firetail.  They had seen the birds on
more than one annual expedition into southern NSW, north of the Barmah
region, and had hoped that I could join them on a subsequent occasion to
identify the birds.  The finches remained a talking point on the rare
occasions that I met Allan through the 1980s but I have not heard any more
about them since.

This recent sighting of the Painted Finch has reminded me of those earlier
finch sightings and I just thought that some local naturalists, for example,
Keith Stockwell (also of this list), might know more or might have access to
Allan Corry's notes to pinpoint a locality.  It may be that those earlier
sightings were of the Painted Finch.

All the best,

Charlie

Charles Silveira