birding-aus

St Helens Pelagics; Next Trips

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: St Helens Pelagics; Next Trips
From: Ian May <>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:47:42 +1000
St Helens Pelagics; Next Trips

December 2008. Monday 29th   Confirmation date, 17th October 2008.

May 2009. Saturday 9th   Confirmation date, 27th March 2009

July 2009, Saturday 26th   Confirmation date, 01st May 2009

Due to reduced availability and increasing cost of hiring suitable pelagic charter boats the future trip schedule for St Helens birding trips has been modified.

To assist passengers to obtain discount travel fares and plan arrangements there is a confirmation date for each of the scheduled trips. If minimum (8) passenger numbers have booked a space by this date I will announce the trip is proceeding.

Itinerary:
Our destination is always "The Hill", (41 13'S, 148 45'E) an area of Tasman Seamounts often surrounded by up welling currents about 23 Nm (40 km.) off shore from St Helens The Hill has proved to be a very productive pelagic birding spot. Located about 8 Nm beyond the continental shelf we use the fast 60' ocean going charter vessel Nifty II, departing St Helens wharf at 07.00, returning about 1600 hrs. During the voyage we make several stops and also visit other nearby birding hot spots based on current local information from commercial fisherman.

Cost:
$200.00 per person per day (9 hour charter) Minimum 8 passengers required to run trip.

The cost of hiring suitable charter boats has escalated due to spiralling running expenses including fuel. To concentrate passenger numbers, the 2009 trip schedule has been reduced to meet the likely demand however when there is sufficient interest we can negotiate additional days. Also, we can reschedule a trip due to severe weather with no cost penalty providing we maintain minimum passenger numbers.

Past trip reports
23/07/2006 http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2006-07/msg00519.html 29/12/2007 http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2008-01/msg00055.html 15 - 17 May 2008 http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/birding-aus/2008-05/msg00718.html 24 - 26 July 2008 http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/birding-aus/2008-08/msg00292.html

If you are interested in booking a trip, please let me know. If you would like additional days immediately after the trip schedule also indicate this. If we obtain minimum numbers I will arrange it and notify you.

Regards

Ian May

PO Box 110
St Helens Tasmania, 7216