birding-aus

Spring birding in SW NSW

To: ? birding-aus <>
Subject: Spring birding in SW NSW
From: Peter Ewin <>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:54:22 +1000
I spent the morning with my father doing a bit of birding in the
Wentworth/Pooncarie area and things seem to be starting to warm up for Spring.
Hopefully a bit more rain (we have had over 20mm in August which is a bit above
average for down here) and things will heat up.

First stop was about 30km north of Wentworth on the Silver City Highway (near
the 235km sign for Broken Hill). I thought I saw a Blue-winged Parrot there
Monday week ago (11/8) but I couldn't confirm that today. Birds seen there
included at least 2 White-winged Trillers, 2 Major Mitchell Cockatoos, lots of
Black-faced Woodswallows, a group of Chestnut-crowned Babblers and the usual
suspects (Whitefaces, Robins, etc.)

Next stop was Nearie Lake NR where I was looking to see if Redthroats were
calling yet. They certainly were with good views of one male, and probably at
least two others calling. Heard both Pallid and Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoos, and
plenty of Mistletoebirds were also about.

Stopped as a Pallid Cuckoo flew over the road about 35km West of Pooncarie and
there were two birds present here, as well as Crested Bellbird and Mulga
Parrots.

Last stop was on the Top Hut Road (south east of Pooncarie) to look for our
target bird (Brown-headed Honeyeater) which we successfully located as well as
White-fronted and White-eared and a group of Variegated Fairy-wrens (I was
pretty happy to find BHHE in the first patch of mallee I pulled over in).

Other spring migrants down here were a male Rufous Whistler calling at Scotia
Sanctuary on Monday the 11th and Reed-warblers singing in reeds near Mildura
wharf (not certain if this counts as NSW or Victoria) on Tues 19th.

The Bee-eaters will be back soon and spring will really be here.

Cheers,
Peter
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org