birding-aus

Mid-north coast NSW

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Mid-north coast NSW
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2008 20:41:43 +1000
Dear birders

Paid a visit to Farquahar Inlet, Old Bar (southern side of Manning River Estuary near Taree) Wednesday 20th August to check out the waders. Nice surprise was one male Double-banded Dotterel in full breeding plumage, keeping company with some Red-capped Dots (13 counted). A beautiful bird. There were about 49 Red-necked Stints (none in breeding p), 2 Eastern Curlew, 8 Bar-tailed Godwits, 12 Crested Terns and 12 little Terns (roosting together), 1 Caspian Tern, 1 White-faced Heron, 1 Pelican, 1 Little Black Cormorant and 1 Whistling Kite. Out at sea only birds were 5 Gannets, all adults, busily fishing. And one Brush Bronzewing in the nearby brush.

On Tuesday 19th in my back garden, northern side of Gloucester, had a visit from a female Regent Bowerbird (drinking at pond). This is only my 3rd sighting of a Regent (always females) in the garden, a nice change to the hordes of Satin Bowerbirds (up to 20) who have kept the remaining patches of grass short over winter but eaten most of the other ground cover under the shrubs. They also like the oranges and quickly eat into any that fall on the ground so it is a rush between me and them to get to the fruit first. They eat most of the skin that they break in order to get at the fruit inside, and then clean out the fruit completely. Red Wattlebirds and Little Ravens also then move in and take what they can.

Roll on spring and some relief from the morning frosts we have enjoyed for the past month - Barrington Tops in snow looks beautiful. By the way, access to Gloucester Tops is still closed. National Parks are putting out for tenders and hope to get the work started in a month. It will take 2 months or so - possibly the track to the top will be open by Christmas. Cost in region of $250,000. Delay was getting NSW State Government approval and money.