birding-aus

Acoustic Communication Conference

To: Angela McGuire <>
Subject: Acoustic Communication Conference
From: Andrew Taylor <>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:44:36 +1000
On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 03:25:39PM +0930, Angela McGuire wrote:
> Could you please tell me what acoustic communication conference this was? I am
> studying a bird that duets and therefore would like to know more about it if
> you don't mind. Much appreciated.

This was the conference
http://oregonstate.edu/conferences/animalcommunication2008/index.html
It was very diverse and I think Peter Slater's keynote was the only talk
on duetting.

A couple of things of maybe general to the list,  after hearing Peter,
high on my to-do list is getting to Eucador for the amazing group duets
of the Plain-tailed Wren:
http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s1463185.htm

My favourite talk was on ultrasonic vocalizations in wild deer-mice -
a study involving trapping, radio tracking, an array of ultrasonic
recorders and a thermal camera.  But the cutest thing was an aside,
a thermal camera video of a mountain lion walking through their study
site complete with glowing footprints.  You can see video here:
http://www.uncg.edu/~mckalcou/pictures.html

Andrew