birding-aus

Still Lots of B Doubles [C. bicinctus] at the Manly Wader Roost [SEQ]

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Still Lots of B Doubles [C. bicinctus] at the Manly Wader Roost [SEQ]
From: L&L Knight <>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 21:30:53 +1000
I poked my nose into the MWR this afternoon to check out the talent. I noticed that some infrastructure work had largely drained the freshwater pond.

Anyhow, there were the usual overwintering Whimbrels and godwits, a fair assembledge of stints, and the odd Sharpie and Curlew Sand. About the only birds in breeding plumage were the Double Bandeds - still waiting for the sign to head over to the shaky isles.

That brings me to a question I have been pondering.

Do latitudinal migratory birds [ie species that migrate north-south] always breed at higher latitudes [ie further from the equator] than their alternate / "winter" grounds? This appears to be the case for birds that alternate between sub-polar latitudes and Australia, but is it always the case - for example for birds that shuttle between equatorial latitudes and Australia?

I can see why the migratory waders breed in the northern hemisphere - it has tundra at the latitudes where the southern hemisphere has ocean, and has a sea at the latitudes where the south has a frozen continent.

Regards, Laurie.