birding-aus

BOCA launches BOCA Birding Maps

To: Peter Shute <>
Subject: BOCA launches BOCA Birding Maps
From: Dave Torr <>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 13:07:12 +1000
Thanks Peter - see below

Peter Shute wrote:
I'm surprised there haven't been any comments about this yet.  Perhaps
everyone is hard at work trying it out?

- The speed is an issue, I'll have to try it at home where I have the
line to myself.  It makes it a little unresponsive so you don't know
that it hasn't finished updating at times, which might confuse a few
people.  I'm quite prepared to tolerate a sluggish site if it will give
me useful info, and this one certainly does.

Yes, I hoped it would be faster - there is a rather large file that has to be downloaded when you first access the system. In early development I had a way to compress this - and then when I enabled the compression for the final release it failed so currently it is rather large! Also of course some data comes from Google servers which we do not control. I also try to put an "hourglass" when the system is doing stuff, but for technical reasons I do not know when Google has finished loading maps - so I might think everything is fine and go back to a normal mouse pointer even though the map is not updated.
- The link is on the left hand side, not the right hand side as
mentioned in Dave's email.

OK - so I am challenged!
- Logins: it says some functions are only available to logged in BOCA
members, but I can't see anything different when I log in.

At this stage very minor - some of our branches restrict full details of the contact names to members. Later there may be other areas. But in general this is designed to be an open system (and Google Maps licensing prevents too many restrictions). For some functions (eg adding locations to the map, which you raise later) we clearly will want to be able to trace who has added data. If they are a logged in BOCA member this is easy - for the rest of people we will have to implement some form of registration and login.
- Bird clubs: I never realised there were so many around Melbourne, and
had not much idea what was around outside it.  Could be very useful if
you're looking for a contact in an area you don't know.

And there are some that I know about which are not up there yet as they haven't answered emails! I too was amazed when I started looking.
- External links: slightly annoyed that I can't open these in a new
window and have to return to the main map each time.  It's also a bit
confusing to be led to another site where the information is suddenly of
a different style and sometimes hard to find, but to have a
comprehensive list of all these is amazing.  To have them laid out on a
map is incredible.

Thanks - not sure exactly what the problem is as they always open in a new window for me! What browser are you using? The styles and usefulness of the links varies a lot - and as I don't know most of the places mentioned I can't really rate them!
- Birding locations: Also amazing to have these presented on a map.  It
has always been frustrating to try to find out what's around an area you
might be visiting.  The data gets very sparse as you get further and
further from Dave's house, but that will surely change when Dave opens
the floodgates and invites submissions of location information.

That will come - obviously there is a way to add locations (as I do it!). The main issue is in figuring out who should be allowed to add stuff and who vets the entries - I am happy to act as the moderator for Melbourne sites but not for other places. We will figure this out soon I hope.
I think this will be a very welcome source of information for birders,
and if lots of birders' knowledge of locations is entered, will end up
being bloody amazing.

Now Dave, can you please flag which of those birding locations also have
children's playgrounds?

When we open the system up a bit more I am sure birders will be able to record such useful information Peter!
Peter Shute

m("vicnet.net.au","birding-aus-bounces");"> wrote on Friday, 8 August 2008 6:41
AM:

The following press release is being issued today to various
organisations and a similar article will appear in this
month's Bird Observer:

*******************************

Bird Observation and Conservation Australia (BOCA)  is
pleased to announce the launch of BOCA Birding Maps on our
website (www.boca.org.au). BOCA Birding Maps is an
interactive map that provides consolidated information on
bird watching locations and birding organisations throughout
Australia. Interactive tools enable the user to zoom in on
sections of the map and to search for specific types of
information (i.e., birding locations, BOCA Branches,
Affiliates and other birding organisations). Selecting a
location on the map - whether it is a birding destination or
a BOCA Branch - will reveal details for that location. In
addition, a user friendly Help function is provided to assist
with easy navigation around the system.

Dave Torr, BOCA's Marketing Manager, said "Our aim is to make
these maps a key resource for both local and international
birders. Many visitors to Australia - or indeed Australian
birders visiting other parts of the country - do not know the
best places for bird watching or the locations of birding
clubs that they might contact for further information. We
have consolidated information that is scattered throughout
the web on one site and placed the information on a map.
Whether you are planning a trip or looking for additional
information on places to bird, BOCA Birding Maps is the
one-stop shopping website for the information you need."

BOCA Birding Maps is only the first part of what will be a
major upgrade to our website with the aim of becoming the
premier website in Australia for local and visiting birders.
The list of birding locations will be expanded by
contributions from birders across the country as the site
develops. Further enhancements will be announced in the coming months.

<#11b9cf3b54b267ae_11b9bbef4890cbd8_11b9b77bcdd2e93d_11b9b6a89
0e06daf_11b966ba321fd809_11b95e66720b99bf_11b9517b107eec8a_11b
94c11936bdc91_11b8fa43eef45323_11b8c1471e30999b_11b8b8e9134d22
22_11b8ab261bddb0eb_11b7be01a4aace42_11b7bcac33131f65_11b774a3
79cf2ff2_11b727873cac5e32_11b70c4e323e277f_11b61f7ddaff6076_11
b0a907d8fd7dc9__msocom_1>The new BOCA Birding Maps may be accessed
from the main BOCA webpage ( www.boca.org.au) by selecting "BOCA
Birding Maps" from the "Come Birding" menu on the right hand side of
the screen or
by the URL http://www.birdobservers.org.au/BirdingMaps.asp.

Contact<#11b9cf3b54b267ae_11b9bbef4890cbd8_11b9b77bcdd2e93d_11
b9b6a890e06daf_11b966ba321fd809_11b95e66720b99bf_11b9517b107ee
c8a_11b94c11936bdc91_11b8fa43eef45323_11b8c1471e30999b_11b8b8e
9134d2222_11b8ab261bddb0eb_11b7be01a4aace42_11b7bcac33131f65_1
1b774a379cf2ff2_11b727873cac5e32_11b70c4e323e277f_11b61f7ddaff
6076_11b0a907d8fd7dc9__msocom_2>:
Dave Torr  m("birdobservers.org.au","marketing");">

Bird Observation and Conservation Australia (BOCA) is a
leading environmental organisation and has been helping
conserve the birdlife and habitat of Australia for more than
a century. With a network of 40 branches and affiliates in
the eastern states, our members are actively involved in bird
surveys, education and practical conservation work.
 ------------------------------

So what does this mean - basically a single map of Aus on
which we hope to place as much birding information as
possible. We already show more than 50 birding clubs (if you
are an official of a birding club that is not on the map and
want to be please contact me - if you are an official of a
club that is on the map and want your entry edited or removed
then also please contact me). We have nearly 400 links to
external brochures and guides (and again let me know if you
want to add, edit or remove a link) and we have a number of
actual locations to go birding, mainly in the Melbourne area.
There are quite a few to add to this list as soon as we
receive permission from the owners of the data, and we hope
that the list of places to go birding can be expanded in the
coming months but please do not tell me about such places just yet!

The information on the map has been gathered from a wide
range of sources - bird clubs, councils, tourist boards and
private individuals - and we are grateful for all the support
and help we have received from them.

Feedback is of course welcomed - public or private!

You will need a reasonably modern web browser with _javascript_
enabled. There is a lot of data to send to your PC,
especially the first time you connect, so a broadband link is
  recommended. --

*Dave Torr*

*Honorary Marketing Manager*

*Bird Observation & Conservation Australia*

 *http://www.birdobservers.org.au/* <http://www.birdobservers.org.au/>

*Helping today's birds survive tomorrow*
*The views in this email are those of the user and do not
necessarily reflect the views of Bird Observation &
Conservation Australia. The information contained in this
email message and any accompanying files is or may be
confidential and is for the intended recipient only. If you
are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination,
reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this email or
any attached files is unauthorised. If you are not the
intended recipient, please delete it and notify the sender.
Bird Observation & Conservation Australia does not guarantee
the accuracy of any information contained in this email or
attached files. As Internet communications are not secure,
Bird Observation & Conservation Australia does not accept
legal responsibility for the contents of this message or
attached files* ==========www.birding-aus.org birding-aus.blogspot.com

to: m("vicnet.net.au","birding-aus-request");">

--

Dave Torr

Honorary Marketing Manager

Bird Observation & Conservation Australia
183 - 185 Springvale Road
P.O. Box 185
Nunawading VIC 3131
Tel: 0400 566 656