birding-aus

Black-Cockatoos Around Perth/trip report

To: <>
Subject: Black-Cockatoos Around Perth/trip report
From: "Arwen B. Ximenes" <>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2008 07:12:20 +1000
Dear Albert,
I was in WA in June for a week. In Perth, I was lucky enough to see a number of
large flocks of (probably Short-billed) Black Cockatoos go over - in Floreat
where I was staying. I was unable to observe them quite as closely as you but
am pretty sure that's what they were. Then in Harvey (2hrs south of Perth) I
observed a flock of possibly Long-billed Blacks - from the photo I took they
seem like they have long bills but it was too unclear. the thing which made me
think long-billed was the call, distinctly shorter and higher pitched than the
ones in Perth. There were about 30 of them on both the days I was on the
farmstay in Harvey.

I had been meaning to do a trip report but life took over so it never happened.
Here are just a few little bits and pieces anyway. birding with a young child
can be tricky, so I didn't get out as much as I would have liked and we were
rushed, but I was very pleased to see the Black cockatoos (whatever they were),
especially as I didn't even have to go looking. Other highlights for me in
Perth were Brown Honeyeater, Singing Honeyeater and around Lake Mongo many
different birds, many of which were hiding their heads because of the rotten
weather - but it was still nice to see a few things including Yellow Spoonbill
(lifer).

In the Southwest we dipped badly on Rock Parrot - caught a glimpse of a
could-be-rock-parrot but not clear enough. Apparently they'd been appearing out
the front of the visitor's centre at Cape Leeuwin Lighthouse reliably for days
and they would also apparently stick around for ages. Well we were there for
ages too!! But, very luckily, I saw my first Southern Emu-wren pop up out of
the heath there - we  haven them in the swamps of Lawson but I've never seen
them!!

another highlight were the Red-capped Parrots I stumbled across feeding in
trees near the Harvey Dam.

That's all I can remember for now, I'm itching to go back and check out some of
those sites I missed, especially the forest at Dryandra. All in all I think I
added something like 10-15 birds to the life list which was nice. (I was
worried I wasn't going to see a Western Spinebill but managed to pick one up at
the Boranup gallery. It was great to see the western counterpart to our Eastern
Spinebill - seemede a bit chunkier and has a very nice smart suit.)

cheers,
Arwen

Lawson, Blue Mountains,
Are you paid what you're worth? Find out: SEEK Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fcareer%2Dresources%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Asc%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_salary&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org