birding-aus

Shy (White-capped) Albatross found in Perth

To: email list <>
Subject: Shy (White-capped) Albatross found in Perth
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 18:25:14 +0800

John Darnell from the WA Museum has just reported that they have been given a specimen of an adult Shy Albatross found on City Beach in Perth on Thursday 31st July.  The bird was banded and fitted with a geolocator from New Zealand.  John contacted the people in NZ, and the bird was banded as a breeding adult at South West Cape on Auckland Island in November 2007.

This is the first record of White-capped (steadi) Albatross found in WA, although of course the ID is hard to distinguish from the nominate Shy Albatross cauta.

This is of more interest considering the birds seen on the recent Albany pelagic on Sunday 20th July.  We saw several Campbell's (Black-browed) Albatross, several Gibson's (Wandering) Albatross, two Grey-faced (Great-winged) Petrels and a "Wandering" Albatross with a thin dark cutting edge on the upper mandible which we are leaning towards IDing as an Antipodean.  Seems like a lot of NZ birds have come this way this winter.  This is along with the Fiordland Penguins that have also been found.  We also saw a juvenile Grey-headed Albatross at Albany, and a 3rd year bird was found at Burns Beach (a northern Perth suburb) in early July and later died in care and has been taken to the museum.  I don't know if these would be NZ (or Macquarie) birds, or from the Indian Ocean.