birding-aus

Interaction between different species

Subject: Interaction between different species
From: David Taylor <>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 21:25:39 +1000
Hello birders,

I was fascinated today whilst birding in the Lockyer Valley near Brisbane to
watch a female Rufous Whistler and a Grey Fantail interacting together. I was
actually trying to photograph the birds and was amazed to see these two birds
appear to play together for a period of 15 minutes or more and across a broad
area. The two birds appeared to be enjoying each others company and moved from
an open area where they sat together on a fence wire before moving into thicker
scrub and were feeding and weaving through the canopy together. Whilst Ive seen
two different species interactive briefly I had never seen such a relationship
play out before me and for so long. At one point I was distracted by some other
birds and was fascinated to later find the two birds still together. I
certainly enjoyed the moment.

The Lockyer Valley as green as Ive seen it for many a day and some good birds
around. Highlight being a group of Ground Cuckoo-shrikes near Atkinson Dam.

cheers

David Taylor
Brisbane